Wednesday, February 6, 2013

F.I.L.A.

Now that I'm finally settled in to my new home in Chicago, I thought I'd share some thoughts and observations (I'm sure my NY friends will be able to commiserate with many of these):
  • When it's 2 degrees and snowing like crazy, you quickly stop caring about looking cute and you just do whatever you can to stay warm. Everday before I leave my condo, I zip myself up in the puffiest, most unflattering arctic parka known to man but darn it if that thing isn't ridiculously warm. I don't even have to bother putting any thought into what I wear underneath anymore because no one will ever see it. I did finally find a great, form-fitting puffer but it cost me way more than I care to ever admit, so let's just consider it an investment and never speak of it again.

Me in my significantly cheaper, non-investment North Face parka
  • Plumbing in this city is terrible. I actually called maintenance my very first day thinking there was something wrong with my toilet but nope, it's just supposed to flush very, very slowly. In Atlanta, that's a sign of cloggage. In Chicago, that's just life - why the hell are you complaining.
  • In-sink garbage disposals are a luxury. None of the places I looked at had one. Atlantans, I know what you're thinking: huh?! What do you do with your leftover scraps? This is somewhat of a novel idea, but you just throw it all away in the trash! Crazy, I know ;)
  • The subway here is really old and dirty (as in any other major metropolitan city - sorry, Atlanta, you don't count; you're too small and shiny and new). I've taken it twice now, and I never thought I'd say this, but I miss you, MARTA.
  • Public laundry facilities blow. And they're pricey. I have to pay $1.50 each time I want to use the washer or dryer. That's at least $3 a trip. Fortunately, since no one sees what I wear anyway, I can just recycle my outfits and save a little money that way :-D
  • Living in the middle of everything automatically makes you more active. If you want to go anywhere in Atlanta, it's always a bigger effort because the city is not conducive to walking; you have to drive everywhere, so it's easy to get lazy and just stay in. In Chicago, I don't WANT to stay in - not when there are so many things to see and do within walking distance. Plus this city is so much more beautiful than Atlanta; you're more inclined to get out just to admire the beauty of all the architecture surrounding you.
All in all, I absolutely love it here. I haven't even minded the cold and the snow and not having a car or garbage disposal or an in-unit W/D (haha). I always knew I wanted to live in a bigger city, and I'm glad I finally did it. I miss everyone in Atlanta a lot, but I don't regret leaving the city itself. To me, Atlanta is like that old pair of jeans that you loved but outgrew, and you held on to them for a long time until finally, you came to terms with the fact that you'd probably never be that skinny again damnit. So, on to bigger and better things. No matter where I'm going, though, I'll never forget where I came from. As the rapper Lil' Scrappy would say, F.I.L.A. - Forever I Love Atlanta.

(Who knew I was such a hoodrat that I'd be quoting someone named Lil' Scrappy?! haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment